发信人: TI9 (Cindy), 信区: MedicalCareer
标 题: My experiene of UMSLE step 3
发信站: BBS 未名空间站 (Sun May 25 16:54:44 2008)
I just passed step 3 and plan to match for 2009. As a CMG who left clinic
med for 9 years and have been doing research ever since, I hope my
experience can be of help, especially for people with similar situation.
1. Ethic questions cannot be ignored. Although it feels like 'soft science",
it is of high yield. Study hard on it and practice with Qs.
2. Be accurate during your review. Do not think you know the diseases well
because you have general knowledge. You have to be accurate about answers
like ‘best next step/most important step’, which you will see a lot in
many of the review materials, including UW and Kaplan.
3. I feel step 3 is the most difficult step in all the steps. Do not take it
lightly, even though someone on internet will tell you he/she only studies
it part time for a few weeks. It does not apply for IMG who left clinic med
for many years. Step 3 covers a very wide range of topics.
4. Time management is critical. Reading speed is very important. Do not
spend over 2 minutes on any single question. If you do not know the answer,
pick one answer and move on. Otherwise, you may not be able to finish the
block. The key is to practice as many questions as you can in a timed manner.
The length of Qs in real exam is about the same as UW and Kaplan.
5.I feel it is not enough to study only Crush step 3 and UW. There are so
many topics not covered by the two resources. Plus, only doing Qs of UW is
not enough for training of reading speed.
6. CCS is the part that can improve your score. UW is a good resource but it
does not allow you to practice. Be VERY familiar with the software. I read
on internet that some IMG used the official software to practice all the UW
cases. Although I did not do that, it should be a good strategy.
7. Exercise often and stay fit. Step 3 is also a test for physical condition
. Try your best to take a few days off from work if you can. You need the
time to adjust your physical and mental rhythm, as well as to organize your
knowledge. Do not forget to practice the Qs during the few days before exam
in order to stay familiar with the pace.
8. I recommend the website www.prep4usmle.com. There are many good topics.
Good luck to all!
※ 来源:·WWW 未名空间站 海外: mitbbs.com 中国: mitbbs.cn·[FROM: 75.170.]